We have decided to register our vessel. Should we start with a provisional registration process or a permanent registration process?

We strongly recommend to start with a provisional registration process. This allows you to start preparing for the necessary documentation (such as Safe Manning Document, DMLC Part 1). Once you have received a provisional certificate of registration (voorlopige zeebrief) you can apply for the required liability certificates. Provisional registration also means that you can instruct a classification institution to start performing certification services. Generally, the provisional registration process allows for the shortest time to start sailing under the Dutch flag.